Become a Bezos Scholar
Every year we select 12 top high school juniors and 12 leading educators from across the US to represent their 12 respective high schools. Successful candidates are ambitious students and educators who bring energy, excellence and a desire to create positive change in their community.
The application for the 2017 Bezos Scholars Program is available on the program website. Please visit www.joinbsp.org to apply now! Applications due February 10, 2017.
Applicants must be attending a school that meets the following criteria:
- Public High School (including Charter and Magnet schools)
- At least 30 percent of students are eligible for free/reduced lunch program (this is a firm cutoff)
Student Scholar applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a public high school that meets the above criteria
- Public high school junior during the 2016-17 academic year
- Legal U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, or has received DACA status
- Demonstrate leadership in school and community
- Have taken at least one of the following tests: PSAT/SAT/ACT or ACT Aspire
- Be enrolled in or have taken one or more Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) classes or college level courses.
- Available to participate on all dates
The Application Process
To begin, you will sign up for a login, which will allow you to save and return to your application. The application contains three parts:
- Part One includes basic background information; school and out-of-school activities; coursework; test scores and three written responses. There is also a release form that you and your parent/guardian will need to sign and upload. Be sure to have your transcript and test scores readily available so you can enter the information on the application form.
- Part Two includes two letters of recommendation. This part will require you to identify two individuals to submit letters of recommendation for you. You might consider asking a teacher, mentor or community member to complete those two recommendation forms. Please note that applicants are responsible for ensuring that references have enough time to complete the recommendation forms by the deadline.
- Part Three is for your Principal and Educator Scholar nominee to complete. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that principals and educators have enough time to complete their forms.
The Selection Committee— a diverse group of big thinkers in education and global advocacy, science, academia, design, media and youth leadership—selects Scholars based on academic achievement, essays and references, along with demonstrated leadership and community engagement.
- Februrary 10: Completed student applications due. Late applications are not accepted.
More dates of interest for 2017 coming soon!
Contact email@example.com with additional questions.