The application period for the 2013 Bezos Scholars program is now closed. Specific information and dates for 2014 will be posted in November.
Below outlines the five-part application process for the Bezos Scholars Program @ the Aspen Institute, including important application deadlines. We invite you to review the Eligibility requirements and Frequently Asked Questions as you dive in.
Important Application Dates
Specific application deadlines for 2013 Scholars are noted below. Please note: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- February 8: Complete applications must be received by the Bezos Family Foundation. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- March 20: Finalists notified via email to schedule a required telephone interview with Bezos Scholars Program staff.
- March 22-29: Telephone interviews for finalists.
- April 12: Provisional acceptance of 12 finalists, contingent on the commitment of an Educator Scholar. Alternates and applicants will also be notified.
- April 17: Student Scholar deadline to confirm/decline provisional acceptance.
- April 17-May 3: Educator Scholars notified; required telephone conversations scheduled with Bezos Scholars Program staff.
- May 3: Educator Scholar deadline to confirm/decline acceptance.
- May 8: Final Student and Educator Scholars announced.
- June 25-July 1: Bezos Scholars attend the 2013 Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, CO.
Five-part Application Process:
The application contains five parts including personal and school information, four essay questions, recommendations and school transcript. In addition, the school's principal will need to complete a short form. All forms except your transcript and Applicant Release Form will be completed through the online application. To begin, you will need a login. This will allow you to save and return at a later date to complete the application. Applications are due by February 8, 2013 and can be submitted by clicking "Submit" after all forms are complete.
Part I: Student Scholar Application to be completed by YOU, the applicant
Part I of the application is an Online Application Form that includes personal and school information and four essay questions.
Part II: Applicant Release to be completed by YOU, the applicant
Applicant and parent/guardian signatures required. Download, print and complete the Release Form (PDF) and cover sheet. Either fax, scan and email or mail with signatures to the Bezos Family Foundation (address below). Applicants are responsible for completing the release on deadline.
Part III: Recommendations to be completed by your references
Two are required from teachers, mentors or community members. Provide your references with a link to your unique Online Recommendation Form which will be provided after you register as an applicant. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that references have enough time to complete the recommendation forms on deadline.
Part IV (a & b):
a. Principal’s Report to be completed by your high school principal
After you register, you will be provided an online, unique link to send to your Prinicpal. Please note, the Principal’s Report includes a nomination form in part (b) of the report for an Educator Scholar. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that principals have enough time to complete the Principal’s Report on deadline.
b. Educator Scholar Nominee Profile to be completed by the Educator Scholar nominee (the principal or an educator nominated by the principal)
Complete the Online Educator Scholar Nominee Profile
Part V: School Transcript
Request that your guidance counselor mail, scan and email, or faxe the transcript and Transcript Cover Sheet (PDF) directly from your school to the Bezos Family Foundation. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that guidance counselors have enough time to process a school transcript. The transcript does not need to be a sealed copy.
Application Mailing Address
Bezos Scholars Program @ the Aspen Institute
Bezos Family Foundation
7683 Southeast 27th Street, Suite 224
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Thank you! We look forward to reviewing your application. Feel free to direct any questions to email@example.com.